1) Use current news in your articles. Not only does referencing other media bolster your credibility, but it also forces you as a blogger to stay informed about what is going on in our world. This can be as easy as downloading a news app or following news sites on Twitter, which is how this writer found out that today is the 30th anniversary of the song “We Are the World.”
2) Tag yourself! Using tags in your article highly increases your blog’s website traffic because Google and other search engines can find your blog more easily. This is called search engine optimization (SEO) and is helpful for those of us who can’t afford to pay for paid advertising.
3) Promote yourself! There’s no shame in plugging yourself on your Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Pinterest accounts. Plus, you can usually link your website to your other accounts. (As you can see, I’ve linked my blog to my Twitter account.)
4) Use numbers in post titles. One way to break through the clutter of the Internet is to show your readers that what you’re giving them is instructive; your information is worth their time. Using numbers in your title (e.g. “Five Ways to Do XYZ”) is inviting and unintimidating. Provided the number is small, it also makes the article sound snappier.
5) Keep it bite-sized. No one likes reading long copy on a screen. Try to keep your copy short enough so that your readers don’t have to scroll too far down the page to finish your post.
What other tips do you use to stay in front of your readers?